Mar 03

Project No. 8 – Graham’s Fishing Party

For Graham’s 3rd birthday, we went with a fishing theme. He really wanted another train party, but I drew the line. (I can’t believe how much he still loves his trains!!!) I really had fun with the fish theme. Don’t you think that Pinterest and the web is totally changing the face of children’s birthday parties forever?!?

The invitations:

Want to download and print your own invitations like this? Visit my Etsy shop here.
The fish on his cake were made with orange candy melts. They were sort of an ordeal and I was not happy with them at all. One of those things you start and wonder why. I put wax paper of the printout of the fish shape and spread the candy to match the shape. But since the cake is round, I needed the chocolate to dry curved. Serious challenge. I’ll spare you the details since it didn’t work out that well. I think it’s time for me to get over my fear of fondant.

I had some more sugar cookies made and I LOVED the bobber cookie and the fish bowl. Almost too cute to eat. Almost, I say.

We set up a fishing game over the stairway, which turned out to be a pretty big hit. The kids played and played and played. They got real creative about what they could “catch” on the drop side.

For favors, I made these really simple goldfish bags and fishbowls of gummy fish.

Another thing I tried, but didn’t get a picture of, was blue jello with gummy fish in it. Here is Martha Stewart’s photo. Ours turned out a little murky – but it tasted great! I also attempted to make some water bottle aquariums (made from water, baby oil, a foam fish and blue food coloring in a water bottle) – they were fun but the kids lost interest in them pretty quick.

For a gift, we took Graham to the pet shop and let him pick out a goldfish. Sadly, the party balloons lasted longer that “Three”, as Graham named him. We are NOT a family that should have pets!

We also had a fish fry with fish sticks for the kiddos. My husband jumped at the excuse to pull the fryer down from storage. I was on board cause I can never pass up an opportunity to have fried okra. One of my big weaknesses.

Overall, Graham had a great day and I had a lot of fun looking for and trying out all the fishy ideas. If you want to see any of the other ideas I collected, you can check out my Pinterest board.

Happy third birthday to my little man! He is getting more and more ornery every day! In this photo, he is giving his “Frank Martin Stare”. If you’re not from Kansas, you probably don’t know what that means. But around here, it always gets a giggle. To which he replies, “Frank Martin doesn’t smile!!” (Frank Martin is the head coach of the Kansas State Wildcats basketball team and has become well-known for his facial expressions, including a pretty mean stare.)

comments

16 comments!!!

1. Sarah says:

You never fail to amaze me Kylie!! So creative! Love every little detail! Happy Birthday Graham!

2. Jamie says:

Who did your invites? I love them!!

3. Allison says:

Hi! I am planning a fishing themed party for my soon to be 4 year old. Thanks for the great ideas here. Now I’m wishing I had a better staircase for the kids to go “fishing”. I’ll have to use a turned over table or something instead… I think my daughter is going to love this theme!

4. Kellie says:

I would love to know who did your invites! I have been looking for fish themed invites and there are not a whole lot of choices out there.

5. Krista says:

I think your invites are great! Did you make them? How did you do it?

6. laura says:

What type of bag did you use for the goldfish? Looks like a pastry bag? Thanks for any insights!

7. Kylie Rott says:

The bags were Wilton brand – I think I got them at Hobby Lobby near all the cake/cookie decorating supplies. They are shaped like a fish bowl with a longer neck.

8. Kylie Rott says:

For the invite questions – I did make the invitations myself. If you are interested in a printable so you can print and cut out your own, I can set that up for you. Just message me at krott@kommunicated.com! Thanks!

9. Valerie says:

The invite is so cute!!! Did anyone ever find out who made or how she made the invites?

10. Kristin says:

Yes!!! I’m currently planning a fishing party!!! So glad I stumbled on to your post!!! Is there a template somewhere for the invites?

11. Kylie Rott says:

Thanks for all your kind words! The invitations are available for download in my Etsy shop. https://www.etsy.com/shop/kmk7878

12. Karen Kamphuis says:

Could you tell me what kind of bags the goldfish are in? We are doing an under the sea themed VBS next summer and I am in charge of snacks, this would be a great one!

Thanks,
    Karen

13. Karen Kamphuis says:

Could you please tell me what kind of bags you used for the goldfish? My church is doing an under the sea themed VBS next summer and I am in charge of snacks. This would be a great one.

Thanks,

Karen

14. LIZ SPICER says:

I would also like to know what kind of bags you used to make the bags of gold fish….thanks!

15. Charolette says:

Would love to know what kind of bags you used for the fish snacks !

Bad Behavior has blocked 209 access attempts in the last 7 days.